Module 9 - Getting Started with NVivo for Qualitative Data Analysis
NVivo is a widely used computer assisted qualitative data analysis software package which provides a potentially useful tool for the management and analysis of qualitative research data. This course is intended as a basic introduction to using NVivo for qualitative data analysis. Whether you are completely new to NVivo or have some previous experience with it, you will find this course both useful and enjoyable. This course blends lectures with hands-on exercises which allows you to try out the tools you've seen in the class under guidance.
What you will learn:
At the end of this course you will master the core functionalities to apply the latest version of NVivo (1.0) to your project, including:
- Import - Creating a research project and importing different data formats such as Word documents, PDFs, webpages, audio, video and images into NVivo; classifying data files and managing their classifications
- Organize - Organizing codes, code text and create codes; apply coding stripes and highlights; use cases with classification and attributes; make annotations and memos, create sets and links to files
- Explore - Exploring lexical queries, word frequency and text search; apply code and matrix queries; illustrate with visualizations such as mind maps, concept maps, and coding matrix charts; coordinate team work by applying coding comparison
Not included in this course:
- Theoretical framework of qualitative data analysis - Although this course will introduce some basic concepts of qualitative data analysis it is not a systematic review of the different theories.
- Advanced qualitative methodologies - This course covers only the most salient features of NVivo and does not teach how to analyse qualitative data according to specific qualitative methods or designs, such as thematic analysis, grounded theory, content analysis, discourse analysis etc.
Young researchers and data analysts who are new to qualitative research and curious about NVivo.
There are no course prerequisites for this course. Anyone can join.
It is advised to bring your own laptop to class. If you don't have access to NVivo through your employer you can download the NVivo 14-day free trial for Windows and Mac via this link.
Exam / Certificate
There is no exam connected to this module. Participants who participate in both sessions receive a certificate of attendance via e-mail at the end of the course.
Type of course
This is an on campus course.
Thursday February 1, 2024, from 9 am to 4 pm (including 1-hour lunch break)
Faculty of Science, Campus Sterre, Krijgslaan 281, 9000 Ghent, Building S9, 3th floor, room 3.3 Konrad Zuse
The course materials, e.g. lecture slides, sample project and sample data will be made available one day in advance. It is recommended to download all files before the course starts.
- QSR video tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/c/NVivobyQSR/videos
- NVIvo online help: https://help-nv.qsrinternational.com/12/win/v12.1.90-d3ea61/Content/welcome.htm
- Book: Qualitative Data Analysis with NVivo, Jackson, K. & Bazeley P, 2019, 3rd edition, London: Sage
The participation fee is 330 EUR for participants from the private sector. Reduced prices apply to students and staff from non-profit, social profit, and government organizations. An exam fee of 35 EUR will be applied.
- Industry, private sector, profession*: € 330
- Non profit, government, higher education staff: € 250
- (Doctoral) students, unemployed: € 150 | Full reimbursement by Doctoral Schools is possible (see details below).
*If two or more employees from the same company enrol simultaneously for this course a reduction of 20% on the course fee is taken into account starting from the second enrolment.
To register, add the course below to your shopping cart and proceed to checkout.
Is this your first registration for a Beta Academy course? In that case, you will need to create an account first. Afterward, you will receive a confirmation email to activate your account on the academy platform. You do not have to click on the activation link but can immediately return to your shopping cart to complete your course registration. If you do not receive a confirmation email for your course order, please contact our Academy for Lifelong Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you currently on the Nova-academy website? To proceed with the registration, simply click on the "More information" box located on the left side.
UGent PhD students
As UGent PhD student you can incorporate this 'transferable skills seminar: research & valorization' in your Doctoral Training Program (DTP). To get a refund of the registration fee from your Doctoral School (DS) please follow these strict rules and take the necessary action in time. Open a dossier on the DS website (Application for Registration) for this course.
Opening a dossier with your DS does not mean that you are enrolled for the course with our academy. You still need to register on this site.
It is you or your department that pays the fee first to our academy. The Doctoral School refunds that fee to you or your department once the course has ended.
Information on "KMO-portefeuille": https://www.ugent.be/nl/opleidingen/levenslang-leren/kmo
Academy for Lifelong Learning (IPVW)
Faculty of Science