Module 6 - Leverage your R Skills: Data Wrangling & Plotting with Tidyverse
Tidyverse is a collection of R-packages used for data wrangling and visualization that share a common design philosophy. The goal of this course is to get you up to speed with the most up-to-date and essential tidyverse tools for data exploration. After attending this course, you’ll have the tools to tackle a wide variety of data wrangling and visualization challenges, using the best parts of R tidyverse.
This course covers the most essential tools from 3 main R tidyverse packages that are frequently used in general data analysis procedure. Lectures with R code demonstrations are blended with hands-on exercises which allows you to try out the tools you’ve seen in the class under guides.
What you will learn:
- Data transforming and summarizing with dplyr: narrowing in on observations of interest, creating new variables that are functions of existing variables, and calculating a set of summary statistics (like counts or means)
- Data visualization with ggplot2: creating more informative graphs (e.g., scatter plot, bar plot, histogram, smoother/regression line, …) in an elegant and efficient way. Arranging multiple plots on a grid
- Data ingest and tidying with tidyr: storing it in a consistent form that matches the semantics of the dataset with the way it is stored.
- Extra tools for programming: Merging and comparing two datasets based on various matching or filtering criterion. Other useful tools for R programming.
Not included in this course:
- A systematic training guide in basics of R. If you never used R or RStudio before, we highly recommend you to take Module 2 of this year's program which will guide you to be familiar with the R environment for the implementation of data management and exploration tasks.
- Big data. This course focuses on small, in-memory datasets as you can’t tackle big data easily unless you have experience with small data.
- Statistics. Although you will see many basic statistics in this course, the main focus is on R and the tidyverse tools instead of explaining the statistical concepts.
This course targets anyone who wants to use R for data processing and needs to produce professional looking graphs and/or summary statistics.
The course is open to all interested persons. Basic R skills as provided in Module 2 of this year's program are strongly advised.
Exam / Certificate
There is no exam connected to this module. Participants who attend all three classes receive a certificate of attendance via e-mail at the end of the course.
This module is part of the microcredential 'Data Analysis in R: Basics and Beyond' that consists of three modules:
- Module 2 - Getting Started with R Software for Data Analysis
- Module 6 - Leverage your R Skills: Data Wrangling & Plotting with Tidyverse
- Module 7 - Dynamic Report Generation with R Markdown and Quarto
If you are planning on registering for all three modules, consider enrolling for the microcredential instead. Read more...
Type of course
This is an on campus course.
Three afternoons in December 2023: December 18, 19 & 21, 2023, from 1 pm to 4 pm.
Faculty of Science, Campus Sterre, Krijgslaan 281, 9000 Ghent, Building S9, 3th floor, Room 3.1.
All course materials e.g., lecture slides, data, R scripts, exercises and solutions, will be made available at least one day before the start of the course as an RStudio project.
The participation fee is 495 EUR for participants from the private sector. Reduced prices apply to students and staff from non-profit, social profit, and government organizations. An exam fee of 35 EUR will be applied.
- Industry, private sector, profession*: € 495
- Non profit, government, higher education staff: € 370
- (Doctoral) students, unemployed: € 225
*If two or more employees from the same company enrol simultaneously for this course a reduction of 20% on the course fee is taken into account starting from the second enrolment.
To register, add the course below to your shopping cart and proceed to checkout.
Is this your first registration for a Beta Academy course? In that case, you will need to create an account first. Afterward, you will receive a confirmation email to activate your account on the academy platform. You do not have to click on the activation link but can immediately return to your shopping cart to complete your course registration. If you do not receive a confirmation email for your course order, please contact our Academy for Lifelong Learning at email@example.com.
Are you currently on the Nova-academy website? To proceed with the registration, simply click on the "More information" box located on the left side.
UGent PhD students
As UGent PhD student you can incorporate this 'transferable skills seminar: research & valorization' in your Doctoral Training Program (DTP). To get a refund of the registration fee from your Doctoral School (DS) please follow these strict rules and take the necessary action in time. Open a dossier on the DS website (Application for Registration) for this course.
Opening a dossier with your DS does not mean that you are enrolled for the course with our academy. You still need to register on this site.
It is you or your department that pays the fee first to our academy. The Doctoral School refunds that fee to you or your department once the course has ended.
Information on "KMO-portefeuille": https://www.ugent.be/nl/opleidingen/levenslang-leren/kmo
Academy for Lifelong Learning (IPVW)
Faculty of Science